Summer is here and more people are getting involved in outdoor sports. It is time to make sure that you and your families are wearing the proper sports mouth guard to protect their teeth from fracture.
What are mouth guards? Mouth guards are coverings worn over teeth, and used to protect teeth from injury during sports. Mouth guards can be custom made to insure proper fit and protection. A proper fitting sports mouth guard is as essential as other protective equipment.
Mouth guards are used most commonly in contact sports, such as boxing, football, hockey, and lacrosse; but recent studies show that even in noncontact sports like baseball, gymnastics, skateboarding, and cycling wearing a mouth guard helps prevent mouth and jaw injuries.
There are three types of mouth guards:
- The readymade, or stock, mouth guards that are purchased as is from the shelf of your pharmacy.
- The “boil-and-bite” mouth guard which is also purchased over the counter and needs to be self-molded to the mouth
- The custom mouth guard made by a dentist
It is important that every mouth guard is:
- Resilient and tear-resistant.
- Fit properly and comfortably
- Easy to clean
- Does not restrict speech or breathing.
The best way to insure proper fit and proper protection is to have the mouth guard custom made! This is especially important if you play often because treating sports related dental injury can cost thousands of dollars. As a result, a custom mouth guard is a worth while investment.